Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Our Latest Blog Postings

Email

< ? bostonites # >

Sunday, May 23, 2004

Picture on the Expatriate’s Wall

THE picture on the expatriate’s wall. Two little girls, seated, in bright dresses and bright smiles. A green cardboard frame, containing the picture on the left, and on the right, a calendar of the year: 1996. An era recorded and unchanging, a multitude of associations as frozen as the captured young subjects in the photo.

In 1997 I moved home to Ireland for a stay that lasted just under a year. I became a voluntary exile from my other, real home. I left behind America, my parents, many friends, and the majority of my life experiences.

I fell into the habit of studying that picture of two young cousins. I wondered if it would become a relic of my personal Diaspora.

As a “first generation” Irish American I have been both an observer and a participant in the rites of separation. I know how long separation and displacement unfolds.
The phone calls, the letters, the frequent trips home to Ireland, and the less frequent visits from family across the world. The powerful emotions theses brief occasions impress upon memory, and the photos that capture the momentary and transient.

I looked at the picture and wondered. More than an image, more than a single moment had been preserved. Rather a whole reality, stilled. Ossified, say. That snapshot becomes the representative of the absent person it contains. The real person, absent, lives on and differently, as do I. We are no longer animate in the past; obviously, we have left it behind, in increments perhaps, or in giant leaps. Yet we don’t often experience change, that subtle continuum. Intellectually, we acknowledge it, but we don’t live it. The course is continual and gradual. Occasionally, we suffer the shock of it: Say upon reunion with a person or place after long separation.

The funny thing is no amount of letters or email or photos or updates of any kind between displaced family or friends ever displaces the memories, associations, and biases of our actual encounters over the years, and the photos and other relics that have documented them.

Physical memory remains primary, and it enshrines the past.

I encounter pictures of my past selves in the houses of relatives in Ireland I have visited over the years. There is always the strange sensation within me that my relatives are disappointed in my growth, in my maturity, in my difference. Old pictures make me uncomfortable. Who is this other person, this past me? Pathos, pathos at the heart of separation lies within this sensation. How sad and skewed is this connection between us: a few hour’s togetherness and a few photos?

My very return underscores the distortion between present-me and this old me, not-me. Then, my relatives and I spend the time reminiscing about that very past, the fulfillment of their expectation and understanding of me. Short visits and distant updates by letter and phone cannot prevent the ossification of memory. And yet, during these visits, the contrast, the distortion remained in the air, a discordant note. How much more pathetic for this situation to occur not with friends or cousins, but with a sister, or a mother?


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This entry is a very good one. There are some things that cannot be communicated without the sayer and the hearer having had a common experience. I feel that this is one of those things. And yet, it is possible to express the feelings and perceptions creatively enough to communicate the emotion.

I like the use of the process of ossification, of becoming bone. One gets the impression that petrification cannot be far behind.

I remember sitting on a bench in Fitzgerald and President's Park and glancing at a photo of a close friend back in the US (a girl, truth be told). The more I ascribed the picture with the quintessential attributes of the culture I had left behind, the more I removed myself from the culture in which I existed. I couldn't bring the picture to life but I couldn't stop looking. In this way I stranded myself, weightless and seemingly motionless, in the orbit of an unreal past while the real Irish present stung my cheeks and soaked my clothes.

I too know the discomfort of longing for the company of a family member who, when finally met, is not the person you knew. As you left them long ago so have they left themselves of that era. Neither am I the me of long ago. I have more than once been shocked by how little time it takes to recall the shared experiences, how little validation of our common past is required before we turn to mundane topics of which we cannot speak to each other in detail. Does this cause discomfort that keeps us from embracing the next meeting with real gusto?

On my next journey to Ireland I will have a long overdue conversation with one of my favorite relatives on either side of the pond. Regrettably, the conversation will be one-sided, as I will talk to his stone and the ground he is under. How foolish to have waited.

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home