Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Our Latest Blog Postings

Email

< ? bostonites # >

Monday, August 30, 2004

Tipping the convenience store clerk

So this is completely off topic:

When did we have to start tipping the Dunkin' Donut person for a cup of coffee? I wait for my change at the drive through and I get the stink eye. The other day, I noticed a tip jar at the counter of the local convenience store.

How should we read this:

The evergrowing greediness of the American? (Not to mention laziness.) I mean, this is just a handout they are looking for (yes, it's a dangling prep.) Barmen and waitstaff make next to nothing in salary. Plus you tip for service. But the register girl?

Maybe it's de facto recognition that minimum wage really doesn't cut it. The only problem with this theory (other than its obvious truth) is that most of these tipping incidents involve oh so skeptical high school or college p/t or summer workers in expensive communities.

I grossly overtip bar and waitstaff, because I used to be a (pretty good) bartender, and a (horrible) waiter. Also, I superstitiously believe in goes around, comes around karma. And my wife still earns cash in bartending.

But I refuse to tip the checkout girl!! Who's with me?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did this happen to you, or did you take this off the 'net? Stink eye is a particularly Hawaiin saying (I've gotten plenty of stink eye in my Polynesian days). I remember Belgians and Lux waiting for me to tip them because they grew accustomed to Americans tipping against the indigenous custom.

I think that any worker who's actual activity adds value to the offering, in the way that a waiter or a tour guide adds value, then a gratuity is in order. And it should be just that, a gratuity. If you feel that you should express gratitude for the value added, then tip. If not, then don't.

No one could posibly give stink eye and expect that it will make the recipient want to give them money.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home