Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Our Latest Blog Postings

Email

< ? bostonites # >

Thursday, May 27, 2004

Tyranny of Friendship

The 23 May, 2004 Sunday Globe "Books" section had a column by Kate Bolick: On Memoirs. I can't find the link. It discusses loneliness (in memoir) and the post-modern's mania for connection:

Not only is there no time to be alone, there's no excuse for it. The expectation for friendship has come to assert its own tyranny--making relevant what has long been a vague subset of autobiography: "loneliness literature."

I feel out of time in the desire not to embrace this overwhelming connectedness--ironic for someone engaged in a personal blog I know. Friendster gives me the heebee jeebees.

Why blog? Ahh, the drama of the self (for this blogger). At least I'm aware of it.

Check out Buttafly.com for a funny article on Friendster.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home