Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Our Latest Blog Postings

Email

< ? bostonites # >

Friday, December 03, 2004

First Gen Irish Americans! (Helloooooo Out There)

I finally had a speck of time and some luck in finding some Immigration stats regarding Irish immigration in the recent past, and over the last twenty years or so. Yes, new Irish immigrants do exist, and so must their children. Whenever I Google anything Irish-related I always arrive in the 19th century: Coffin Ships, Famine, Awful, Evil Brits, and of course the Too Ra Loo Ra Loo Ra I-Am sites. Arrrgh!!!

The whole point of this blog, or a large point anyway, is to find out more about the current experience of being expat or (especially) first generation with strong ties to home. I selfishly want to know if I share attitude and experience with others that must be out there.

This is a precursor post to two posts forthcoming (Irish Famine lecturer and some ironies in being white first gen).

I'd love help with stats, reminiscences, comments related most specifically to the power of insight that comes with a bicultural experience of the Irish American kind. I would say we must be among the few sophisticated "Irish Americans" out there, in relation the dreadful weight of blarney and "history" that is inescapably a part of Irish America. Are you out there? Help!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home