Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Our Latest Blog Postings

Email

< ? bostonites # >

Thursday, December 16, 2004

Letter from Ireland, pt. 5

[Currently listening to the World Cafe streaming on WUMB. Great show! Steve Earle--Revolution Starts Now.]

If they can't, or won't, explicitly communicate their reaction to me and my environment on a visit, let me say that it has taken 28 years to understand my relation to myself. And in that time I have suffered a prolonged confusion about the environment I tried to relate to, so unevenly. And in that time I never once thought about a larger picture, larger possibility, but instead internalized my difficulties as a reflection on myself. And never once considered the problem might be external, or at least considered that I was coming at the problem at an angle, askew, and that there was nothing wrong with where I was, and where I was coming from.

The problem lay in not knowing we were askew, myself and my surroundings. An immigrant, a traveler anywhere, might get homesick, but at least, amid all the strangeness, the difference, the discomfort, he knows the reason: He is a stranger, customs are different here. The difference is not cast back on himself (by him, at least.) He does not internalize that difference.

[Okay, I have to butt into my letter to editorialize: I can't help but recognize how accurately I described here what was being researched and written up during the same time: the freedom in having a reason for difference that the supposedly integrated first-generation American may not have.]

I did feel that problems of integration lay within me, and along the way I also internalized anger and frustration to match the confusion and discomfort.

So. When I sense a certain confusion or even hostility in visitors, I recognize it. And I do nothing to soothe it because amidst my past of confusion, I naturally collected this hostility and resentment of my own, and I internalized it too. My attitude does involve rejection and is not just the result of a happy circumstance of waking up to the root of my difference, saying "Oh sorry, excuse me," and going on my merry way to Ireland. Too late for that. A certain resentment has become entrenched in my character, an obstinacy, and on reflection, I think I'll keep it.

tbc.

1 Comments:

Blogger Traveler said...

This point of view sounds like it easily could have been expressed by my old traveling companion, now farming up in Maine. He used to get his ire up when people would tell him to cheer up, or to be more serious. He explained to me over and over that there is no accounting for the melange of influences at play to make you who you are or feel how you feel. In his view, if I remember correctly, it is possible to change the way you feel, but in so doing you change the person you are, and you are doing yourself a disservice by not allowing yourself to experience the culmination of the tangible and intangible experience that God (or circumstance) has devised for you. He enjoyed being pissed off, and through his example I've learned to enjoy it too.

Your reluctance to relinquish your obstinacy is obstinate in and of itself. A self fulfilling obstinacy. Your wife's cool with that? (joking).

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home