Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Our Latest Blog Postings

Email

< ? bostonites # >

Friday, January 06, 2006

Sesa Me Ewurade, Sesa Me O

I was just thinking how after I had stopped my wanderings and had locked myself in a cube in corporate America I used to sit and, sometimes for hours, daydream about swaying palm trees and ancient temples, minarets and thunderous waves. It was a feeling not unlike those I had as a child trapped in a classroom, wishing I was on the playground or off adventuring with my cousin Paul.

I don't do that so much anymore, hardly ever in fact. I wonder what is happening. I wonder if I don't need to daydream like that because I'm settled now, or if I have been "institutionalized". All this normalcy was never normal to me before- is there a universal preferable state in which man should exist? I don't know, but I do know that I find it somewhat disturbing that I am no longer disturbed by the fact that I not only am not in an Arabian bazaar (soukh) but no longer feel the overpowering need to get to one (or a Polynesian beach, or a Korean mountaintop, or...)

I am changing into an unchanging person, and I don't know if it should scare me or not.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cornelius Quick said...

I have felt these feelings but I can only begin to imagine their effect on one who has travelled and adventured so fully. And yet, I suppose, one is never full.

Perhaps it is, in some ways, related to that freedom we knew as children. I do think that was, perhaps, the happiest period of my life. Perhaps the bard best described it in this song:

Sunny day
Sweepin' the clouds away
On my way
to where the air is sweet.
Can you tell me how to get,
how to get to Sesa Me Ewurade, Sesa Me O Street?

pem Hov jaj.
Haw'choHnIS 'eng 'ej Haj.
ghoch vIghaj;
'ej pa' muDmo' jIbel.
chay' Sesame He vIghoS?
SIbI' jIHvaD 'e' yIDel.

A day of the daytime star.
The clouds are compelled to commence fleeing, and are filled with dread.
I have a destination;
and there, because of the atmosphere, I am pleased.
Describe to me immediately
how to go to Sesame Street.

CQ

10:16 PM  
Blogger Traveler said...

Childhood is happy, I think, because there are fewer long standing concerns. A child is more like the birds of the air or the beasts of the field (especially my kid, look out!). I think that was what I was getting at in my post entitled Five on True Stories.

I am not angst ridden and crushed here, just curious about the emerging state of my being newly stationary.

We'll see.

6:33 AM  
Blogger Traveler said...

Oh, and "Sesa" means to change in Ashanti, Me menas me, and "Ewurade" means Lord

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home